The best type of drink to combine re-hydration with energy available for athletes is the isotonic sports drink. WHICH WILL ENHANCE PERFORMANCE?
· 4g sugar per 100ml which is 4% carbohydrates
· This sugar should be in simple form
· Th e fastest absorbed is glucose or sucrose with maltodestrin
· A small amount of salt 50-70mg per 100ml will enhance absorption this will help to compensate for sodium loss
· You can incorporate pure coconut juice about 10% sugar or orange but really your own choice as long as you check for the percentage of sugar in the concentrate dilute it with water and then add sodium minerals
When exercising you lose some minerals (electrolytes ) such as potassium and sodium that help your body function normally .
For this reason just drinking water when exercising for a long duration in hot environments can cause hyponataemia ,literally diluting the sodium in the blood to level which can potentially cause coma or even death .excessive water consumption should be avoided in these situations .
The guidelines are to consume up to 250ml to every 15 minutes.
Ice cold drinks are not appropriate during exercises